How to Make a Pom Pom Wall Hanging
Lovers of the 70s will tell you that they never really went away, but pom poms are back. You’ll find them adorning hats and scarves, and now it’s time to bring them into your house.
1. Get your pom pom goodies together
You can opt to buy your pom poms ready made. If you want to buy ready made, look in a craft store, or you might even find a specialist wool shop selling them. But think about making your own, which will take your wall hanging to the next level.
While there are a few ways of making pom poms, one traditional way that’s also pretty easy for little hands is to use a cardboard template. Here’s how to do it:
1. Take a piece of cardboard and cut two matching circles out of it.
2. Cut a slit into each circle, and cut a smaller circle out of it, again making sure your two circles are the same size.
3. Pop the two circles together and begin wrapping your wool around them.
4. Once you’ve completely covered your circles, carefully cut around the outside with scissors.
5. Take a piece of wool and loop it between the two circles, tying it tightly.
6. Pull out the two cardboard circles.
7. Fluff up your completed pom pom!
Make your poms poms over the course of a few weeks before you’re ready to assemble your wall hanging. To vary the sizes, just use different sized-circles.
To make your hanging you’ll also need your frame and a hot glue gun. You shouldn’t see the frame once your hanging is finished, so don’t worry too much about how it looks. Don’t forget to play with angles. Here we’ve taken a square frame and hung it as a quirky diamond.
2. Arrange and glue your pom poms.
Using a hot glue gun might sound serious but they’re actually an incredibly handy tool for any crafter. They will also give you a more professional result in a shorter time. We call that a win!
3. Style and hang.
We think this wall hanging is perfect for any room, but we especially like the idea of the living room, where everyone can enjoy your handiwork.